Like haircuts, eyebrow shapes aren’t one-size-fits-all. It really depends on the dimensions of your face—and knowing how to shape them based on your specific face shape can not only emphasize your eye shape, but make you more comfortable while wearing less makeup.
“The right brow will help open up the entire eye area and work to improve the face’s overall symmetry,” says celebrity eyebrow stylist Joey Healy. “The perfect brow will make you look fresh, rested, young, healthy and overall more attractive.” Do we have your attention yet?
A Heart Shaped Face Needs...
Soften the face with curves and create a beautiful heart shape using the point of the chin as the heart bottom and the brows as the top of the heart.
- The best eyebrow shape for a heart shaped face is rounded.
- A low arch rounded brow creates a natural look, while a highly arched brow can add length to a shorter heart shaped face or create a dramatic look.
- The curve of the brow is soft, feminine and attractive and also creates the heart like look of the face.
- Bushy and full is not ideal, despite it being on trend, because of the petite jawline and emphasis on the upper portion of the face - it is important to keep brows well-manicured and exceptionally groomed. That being said, a thin brow is never in. An elegant brow on the top hemisphere of the face will serve to balance the smaller chin and jawline of the bottom half.
A Long Face Needs...
Brows need to be shaped to create a shorter and more symmetrical face therefore creating flat, straight-across brows works best.
- Eyebrows should be worn, in this particular case, medium or thick. Very narrow straight eyebrows tend to get lost on a long face and do not balance features correctly.
- Avoid too much height or having them too close together, this will exaggerate the length of the face.
- The arch should be past the middle of the brow to draw attention away from the middle of the face.
- Keep in mind that an extended brow-tail will really help to highlight and exaggerate horizontal features – something you really want if your face is too long. The tails of brows should typically extend beyond the corner of the eye, but if you have a long face, you should make it a point for tails to extend a bit longer than usual.
An Oval Face Needs...
This is the easiest shape to design brows on as it suits many styles.
- Try to not sit the arch in the middle of the brow as this oval shape does not compliment an oval face.
- Soft contours of the brow shape are recommended as you don't want them to appear too sharp or angular.
A Square Face Needs...
A square face tends to have more angular features. The objective is to make this face shape look longer and the jaw line to appear more narrow.
Opt for a soft lifted arch and a lengthened tail which will help to elongate the face and make the jawline look slimmer.
- Avoid round brows on a square face as they will mis match the face and its features.
- Avoid flat brows on a square face as the face will appear shorter and even more square.
- Keep the contours of the brows angular i.e. a squarer front and a straighter lines.
- Add a in a curved element to the shape under the arch to gain balance.
- Add height to the arch to lengthen the face.
- Keep the arch nearer to the centre of the brow to draw attention to the centre of the face.
- Add length to the brows to give the illusion of a slimmer jawline.
A Round Face Needs...
Rounded brows on a circular face shape will only make it appear more rounded. A slightly lifted arch and lengthened tail will create the illusion of a longer face and slimmer jawline.
- Avoid: rounded shapes (as the face will appear rounder), straight/flat brows (it will mismatch the face and make it appear shorter), sharp/angular brows (will not compliment the natural curves of the face).
- Keep the shape of the brows soft and slightly curved under the arch
- Brush the hairs at the front of the brow upright to add an angular element and create visual balance.
- Add height at the arch and place it closer to the centre of the brow to lengthen the face.
- Lengthened brows make the jawline appear slimmer.